Collecting My Thoughts

The past couple of weeks have been a very trying time. I'm taking social distancing very seriously, only leaving the house to get groceries once a week, and to go for a walk or read outside. I've been paranoid about getting sick because I have asthma, and this constant anxiety is new for me. I'm used to having a routine, having everything under control. I miss going to work and seeing my students, and feeling like I've earned the time to relax in the evening. I miss going to the gym. I was finally getting good at meal planning and macro tracking, and was so excited to see more results. Now I'm stuck in the house most days, with just a few dumbbells and a bench. I'm not burning nearly as many calories, but I'm still snacking out of boredom.

It's been frustrating to feel like I'm doing so much for my students and yet not enough at the same time. I spent time putting together enrichment activities and grading their writing,  to find that only a small number of students would actually do anything I posted. I spend hours each day sifting through their work; 15 texts times 5 classes, when only a few students are doing each one. Honestly, I'd rather be able to post just one or two assignments, but they're not required to do anything so some kids would want more and some kids wouldn't even finish that. This is what I struggle with. I'm not used to feeling so ineffective.

Comments

  1. I hope it gets better Ally. I'm sure it will! I am having a tough time too with my students getting work done. If they always do it in school, then they will do it at home. I toned down my work load this week (I think I went to digital crazy and assigned way more stuff than I usually did). On a positive side the shyer kids are reaching out to me more.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Disparate Attitudes Towards Minority Students

Ideologies of Oppression

Who Controls American Education?