Ideologies of Oppression

In this week’s articles, our authors explored different facets of being White, and the responsibilities of dealing with Whiteness in regards to privilege and intelligence.  






In her article “My Class Didn’t Trump My Race: Using Oppression to Face Privilege”, Robin DiAngelo describes her experience growing up poor and white, and how this impacted her worldview as she moved into academia. She explored some of the “patterns of internalized dominance” (54) that Whites often share, which she discovered while reflecting on her past experiences. One that struck me was the idea that Whites often pretend that race is not important. White people tend to conflate the noticing of race with racism itself, and conversely think that if we don’t see race, racism doesn’t exist. DiAngelo argues that “If we don’t notice racism, we can’t understand or interrupt it in ourselves or others” (56).  This brings about the point that colorblindness, as it is often called, is actually harmful. 

Zach Stafford writes in his article that When you say you 'don't see race', you’re ignoring racism, not helping to solve it. He talks about a study in which it was found that many millennials argue that they are ‘colorblind’. Yet, another study, byDr. Osagie Obasogie, shows that even people who are actually blind can still pick up on non-visual cues that indicate race.

 In my life I have heard many times that it is important not to see race in the classroom. Yet if we deny that race exists we deny people their culture. If we say that there is no difference in the experiences of a person with light skin and one with dark skin, we ignore the systematic oppression that people of color have faced in the hands of Whites for centuries. I’ve often found myself asking, “why does race even matter so much?”. This is obviously a problematic question. When I reflect on it, I realize that I don’t mean that race doesn’t matter at all. To say this would be to say that people’s experiences don’t matter. I think that what I really mean is, “what’s the point of oppressing someone based on the color of their skin?”.  While I understand the history of slavery and why oppression has happened in a historical context, it seems like an antiquated idea. One would hope that we would be past it and moving towards a society where race (or any other feature, for that matter) is not used as a tool of oppression. DiAngelo’s article has made me consider my role, as a White woman, in perpetuating these systems even as I am aware that they exist and are wrong. 

 In 2018, we live in a society where people of all races and backgrounds are celebrated for their merits and abilities, yet this celebration is terribly disproportionate when you look at White vs. Non-White representation.  In “Smartness as Property: A Critical Exploration of Intersections between Whiteness and Disablity Studies”, Zeus Leonardo and Alicia Broderick explore the concept of Whiteness as it relates to schooling. They discuss the overrepresentation of minority students in special education programs. They also focus specifically on how students with disabilities are marginalized. 

One of their ideas that I struggled with is the idea that Whiteness “exists only as a tool for oppression” (2212). They are of the opinion that Whiteness is only an ideology, created by people with white bodies, for the purpose of stratification. It was difficult for me at first to separate the idea of having white skin and the idea of Whiteness. Skin color is scientific and observable, but the meaning of having a certain amount of melanin is a social construct. I’m still not confident that I totally understand what they are saying. 

As they related the ideology of Smartness I was also confused. Intelligence is observable and measurable. As a teacher, I give my students tasks and evaluate their ability based on the results they produce. Yet I see what Leonardo and Broderick mean when they invoke Borthwick and Crossley’s idea that “ ‘mental retardation’ may be…inadequate as an explanatory concept” (2217). Students who are classified as impaired as based on certain assessments are not given the chance to prove themselves in other ways. They are deemed to be one way because of a disability, which leads to people ignoring the abilities they have.  It reminds me of this comic and the accompanying quote:

Image result for test climb a tree

I think we as teachers are often aware of the differences between students, and make many efforts to differentiate our lessons for those of varying abilities. Yet the authors also bring up the point that the “celebration of ‘multiple’ intelligences similarly fail to adequately address that some forms of “intelligence” are still more highly culturally valued than others” (2226). So here we see that in all our attempts, we are still falling short. Looking at where race, disability, and intelligence all intersect is an important and daunting task, but if we ignore these ideas, we continue to do a disservice to marginalized students. 

Comments

  1. I also had difficulty completely grasping the argument about smartness. As you mentioned, people say they are "color-blind", but this in fact denies not only the oppression that various people face, but also negates the wonderful diversity that we have in the world. Likewise, then, wouldn't saying you are "ability-blind" have analogous repercussions? Leonardo and Broderick didn't come out and say "ability-blind", but the article leans that way. People are different; the list of characteristics and personal history that makes us different is too long to even begin to list here. I think as we read both of these articles we have to be careful to balance changing our oppressive terminology without disregarding our individuality. Because, like you mentioned, as a teacher, I have to differentiate for my students - they have different strengths - I have to work with those to effectively teach them. I don't have to give them labels with negative connotations, but I do have to label them in some way to give them the supports and challenges they need to grow and excel.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Likewise, then, wouldn't saying you are "ability-blind" have analogous repercussions?" This is a really important point, Lisa. It has the potential to undermine the authors' argument regarding social construct if they fail to recognize how the concepts of "color-blind" and "ability-blind" are in this sense synonymous. I like also like that you bring up having to, as teachers, balance changing oppressive terminology without disregarding individuality in your students, yet you still have in some way label or categorize them in order to provide support or challenge as needed. It sounds like a Catch-22 situation for teachers!

      Delete
  2. Reading the article about Obasogie's research have me thinking about how I myself am guilty of having this thought about being colorblind in order to treat all of my students "equally". But I also think about the quote I have on a poster in my classroom- "Equal is everyone getting the same thing. Fair is everyone getting what they need in order to be successful. We will always try to be fair but it won't always feel equal." It is a reminder of how I need to celebrate the diversity I see in front of me everyday and recognize the struggles my students may face on a daily basis because of their race, rather than ignore it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you said, "It was difficult for me at first to separate the idea of having white skin and the idea of Whiteness" I could totally relate. As they further explained Whiteness as an ideology, I slowly began to grasp the concept. The more we look deeper into these topics and ideologies the more I understand my life and who I have become today both personally and professionally. In these past few weeks I have observed and just been noticing more and more of the things we discuss in class happening all around me. Noticing and acknowledging our differences, learning from and teaching others, will help us all grow and be more human.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Disparate Attitudes Towards Minority Students

Who Controls American Education?